Wednesday, December 22, 2010

How Great Thou Art

  Today, I would like to write about one of my favorite hymns, How great Thou Art. I love this hymn because I makes me realize how truly great our Master is. If you begin to think of the worlds that were created at His command and creating us from the dust of the earth and how nothing that man can make can even begin to compare to the things that God has and does create it gives us a small glimpse at how Great and Powerful our God is. So, I tried to put the words on here but there is a copyright restriction so just bare with me as I go through it.

  The first verse starts by talking about some of the things that were created in the universe, and the awesome wonder the author is in when he looks at the things the Lord has created. Such as the worlds the stars, and the thunder. All things that most of of notice but rarely take the time to think of the great effort it may have taken to have these things be. When I look up at the stars, in Montana and Wyoming it is especially nice because the sky is so big and there are little lights to effect what you can see, and think about how many stars there are out there and the time and effort it may have take I get a sense of that awesome wonder the author is speaking of.

  Verse two talks more about the things that the Master created on this beautiful earth. The woods and the forest glades. The birds sweetly singing in those trees that were made. Looking down from the lofty mountains and getting a glimpse at the view that God can see each and everyday as He looks out over what He has made. It often makes me wish that we could all have a little more time to get to sit and admire these things. To get a few more chances in life to sit and listen to the water running through the brook and feeling the cool summer breezes. How great a love God has for us to create these great places and wonder for or pleasure.

  Verse three is my favorite. And when I think, of God His Son not sparing, sent Him to die, I scarce can take it in. That on the cross, MY burden gladly baring, He bled and died to take away my sins. What love! God the Great creator of all of the Heavens and the earth sent His only begotten Son to bleed and die for us, EVERY SINGLE ONE OF US! That Christ, the only perfect person to ever walk the face of this earth, was willing to show His perfect obedience to His Father and do all that He asked Him. To suffer for all of us that fall short everyday, and not only to suffer, but to give up His own life in such a cruel way. That He, The Christ, allowed Himself to be hung on a cross and suffer and die. That verse makes me cry nearly every time I sing or read it. When I reflect on the silly things I do each and everyday that He gladly took upon Himself so that I would not have to suffer for those things. And He did it not only for me, but also EVERY person to EVER walk the face of this earth.

  The last verse: When Christ shall come with shout of acclamation, (which means a loud shout or other demonstration of welcome, goodwill, or approval.) And take me home, what joy shall fill my heart! Then I shall bow, in humble adoration, (which means the act of paying honor, as to a divine being; worship. And or fervent and devoted love.) And there proclaim, My God How Great Thou Art! What a joyous day that will be when we can shout praise of joy and gratitude for our Savior Jesus Christ. When we can begin to give back some of that GREAT love which He showed to us! Brothers and sister, I am soo grateful for hymns like this that enable us to sing praises to our Lord! As missionaries, our mission president encourages us to sing at appointments because it invites the spirit. They tell us even if you don't have a good voice the Lord will help us there as well, and its so true. The Lord doesn't expect us to be perfect, but He sure what us to do our best. And that can be one of our gift to God, is to try our best! Be a little more positive if that's something we struggle with or give of our time to someone in need our who is lonely. He would gladly do that for us, so lets do it for others. May the Lord bless each and everyone of you this fine holiday season. All my Love, Elder Kevin House  

No comments:

Post a Comment