Thursday, February 3, 2011

Talents

  The other day we were talking about the story of the ten talents and it really had an effect on me, so that is what I decided to blog about today is our talents. I have often wondered what my talents are... What it was that I am good at that sets me apart from other people, as far as what I am better at than most. During these pondering sessions, I haven't been able to think of very many things that I would refer to as a talents, but I think that is one of the things that we are here in mortality for is to find and to develop talents and gain more. The story for the scriptures that I have on my mind is rather long, so I will describe the story in my own words.

    The story is from the Bible, in the Book of Matthew 25 verses 14- 30. It talks of man who is preparing to travel to a far away country and gives talents to his servants. To one he gives 5 to another 2 and to the last he gives one. The first who received these 5 talents he goes out and trades and finds ways to increase these talents so when his master comes back he has something to show for what he was in trusted with. The second servant did the same with what he was in trusted with, but the last servant took the talent and buried it in the earth. After a long time the master comes back to see what they have done with what they were give. The master goes to the first and asks, so what have you done? The servant gladly tells his master I have doubled what you gave me, and the master rejoices and calls him a good and faithful servant because, he was given and little and was faithful to it, so he is told that he will be in trusted with many more things. The master tells the same to the second servant, because he doubled what he was given. Then for not so lucky number three... The master returns looking for what was done with what he was given as to his disappointment he finds that the servant buried what he was in trusted with and the master is really upset. So upset that he calls him a " Thou wicked and slothful servant" for not doing as the others, for fearing failure more than attempting what was difficult.

  What this has to do with me or what I have been wondering about is, I was wondering what my talents are and if I will be like the good servants or the wicked and unprofitable one. What I came to realize the other day was, even though I don't or may not realize what my talents are, as I have been reflecting on where I am in my life now, I realized that I have become so much better at so many of the things that I used to really struggle with. So, in a way I am doubling those talents, I am taking what was once a weakness and turning it into a strength, so I am trading what was of little value for something that is of great worth now. I know that many of of may wonder, well what am I good at? What are my talents? i am doing all that I can to improve them? If you are trying your best to do better and to get better, than I would say yes, you are doing what you are supposed to and if we keep that up then when the Lord returns to see what we have done with our own talents he will say this to us, "Well done, good and faithful servant; thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will make thee ruler over many things: enter thou into the joy of thy lord." This is my testimony in the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment