Friday, March 25, 2011

Mothers

  I was given this idea by my very good friend again. I really liked the idea, because I realized, well I won't be on my mission for mothers day and I know how much my mother has meant to me and there have been a number of influential mothers and women through out the scriptures and time so I will take the time to talk about a one of my favorites.

   The first of course being my own mother. She has helped me so much throughout my life and has helped to teach me so many key lessons that have helped shape me into the person I am today. One of my favorite scriptures growing up, that comes from the Book of Mormon talks once again about the great importance of mothers. It is Alma chapter 56 verses 47 & 48: "Now they never had fought, yet they did not fear death; and they did think more upon the liberty of their fathers than they did upon their lives; yea, they had been taught by their mothers, that if they did not doubt, God would deliver them. And they rehearsed unto me the words of their mothers, saying: We do not doubt our mothers knew it." This to me is so great because when we are taught these key truths from our youth, to put our trust in God, He can and will deliver us from harms way.

   There are many other examples from the scriptures I could use such as Mary and how she was such special woman that she was chosen to be a mother of our Master, Jesus Christ. When we take the time to think of what a special role mothers have in bringing our Heavenly Father spirit children into this world, it is sad to see how little respect is given to women. As we look into the world we live in we can see how the values and morals of all people are being diminished. What a sad thing this is that the people of the world are not treating one another with the respect that they deserve, especially women. Mothers have such a key role in the way a child learns and grows, that if they stop caring in the way they raise their kids what will it do to the world? The young men I talked about in the scripture above, they were able to do so many great things because they were taught to trust in the Lord from their childhood. I am not saying that dads are worthless, because I have learned so many lessons in life such as the importance of hard work and to keep going even when you are tired or don't want to go anymore that have greatly blessed my life. Women just have such a great love and spirit about them that we must respect love and cherish them. This is what the Lord wants us to do.

2 comments:

  1. What a nice commentary to your own mother, Kevin. She must be so proud.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree! I love that scripture in Alma! thank you for that Post Elder House! you are a great missionary!

    ReplyDelete